We are fortunate to have some really great places to walk, bike, or hike in the Augusta area. Y’all check these out! I’ve been on a few of these and it’s a great way to get away, enjoy nature and get some exercise. Have fun!
- The North Augusta Greeneway: Named after former North Augusta Mayor, Tom Greeneway, this 12-mile paved trail is perfect for biking, running, and walking.
- Augusta Canal: I usually start at Savannah Rapids Pavilion. Lots of free parking, this is a very good place to take a walk and enjoy the scenery.
- Phinizy Swamp Nature Park: Near Bush Field, this is a really cool place to walk and take in nature. A few bridges overlooking the swamp and you’ll see plenty of critters! Take a camera or your phone.
- Hitchcock Woods: 65 miles of trails. You’ll see a few horses along the way, as this is a great riding trail, too. Hitchcock woods is one of the largest urban forests in the nation, with about 2,100 acres.
- Langley Pond Park: Nice area in Warrenville to walk, fish, swim and more. It also has a playground for the kids and a beach!
- Turkey-Wine Southern Trailhead: This trail in Modoc, SC is Great for running, biking and hiking. Be careful, no signs here. Don’t get lost!
- Forks Area Trail System (FATS): People come from all over to bike here, also hike, and walk. FATS is located in Clarkes Hill, SC
- Slade Lake: This lake covers over 36 acres in Edgefield. The Ten Governors Rail Trail passes along the waters. Great place to take a walk or hike. You may want to take your fishing rod, too, it’s open to fishermen on Wednesdays and weekends from April through November.
- Horn Creek Trail: Another great place near Edgefield. This 5.7-mile loop trail. It’s considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 2 and a half hours to complete. This trail is great for hiking, mountain biking, and trail running, and it’s unlikely you’ll encounter many other people while exploring. The best times to visit this trail are April through December. Dogs are welcome but must be on a leash.
And if you’re looking for parks… check the list below!